RE: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:51:30 -0700

    As I already pointed out, I personally do not find this confusing, but
    very useful.  For people who do not like it, however, the
    functionality you want is already available.

    M-x customize-option RET minibuffer-prompt-properties RET
    and check: Inviolable.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that option.

I'd still be interested in knowing what your text-copying use case is.

And a question - ignore, if this has already been beaten to death -
shouldn't "inviolable" be the default value? A novice might get confused and
not know about the option to make the text inviolable; a veteran is more
likely to try to copy prompt text and to discover the open-sesame option, if
it is locked by default.