RE: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 07:23:19 -0700

       One possible compromise, assuming there is a useful use case
       for copying prompt text, would be to permit copying it with the
mouse,
       but still inhibit moving the cursor into the prompt by command
       or keyboard.  Would that be good enough?

    That would force one to use the mouse and assumes that one has a mouse
    available.

Yes, of course. To "Would that be enough?", I guess your answer is "No".

       I note too that, by design, commands like `C-a' do not move
       into the prompt.

    That is because of field properties.  To see this, do C-x C-f,
    move into the prompt (sorry) and to C-u x =

That's the how, not the why. My point was that it is designed purposely to
prevent C-a from moving point to that beginning of the minibuffer (and a
good thing, too).