Re: flyspell bug

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: flyspell bug
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:34:46 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     > I think it would be extremely confusing if switching windows to look
>     > around in another buffer were likely to run some Lisp code.
>
>     How would you notice if flyspell did some "behind the scenes"
>     dictionary setup ?
>
> It might cause a lot of trouble if it had a bug of some kind, or if
> it did things with processes at a time you did not expect.
>
> Anyway, my intuition, based on many years of programming, says that
> it is a bad idea for switching buffers to run a hook.

Switching windows to look around in another buffer certainly can run
hooks right now.  We have pre-command-hook, post-command-hook, we have
focus events and of course we have the "display" property which can
run Lisp code, and which will get triggered upon redisplay.

All of those however are connected with windows and the user interface
and the current _window_.  The current _buffer_ is something which is
not visible and which can be switched around from C.