Re: GTK file selector

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: GTK file selector
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:29:55 +0100 (CET)

>       Also, by default, Gnome
>     applications use the new one, so I think the new one should be default
>     as it is more familiar by now.
>
> The sad thing is, it seems that the new one is so inconvenient that we
> will have to teach people not to use it.
>
> Is there any way we could put some sort of text into the new GNOME
> file selector, saying "We know this is inconvenient, and we recommend
> you use C-x C-f instead"?  Could we display that in a small window
> alongside the file selector?

Yes, we can do this with the external widget feature in the new file
chooser.  I will do this after the holidays so we can get some feedback
on the actual text.  I suggest we add some text about how to enable the
old dialog also.  I'll add the "show hidden files" also as suggested by
other posters.  But there seems to be no way to add a button that can
enable the text input dialog,which is too bad.

        Jan D.