Re: RFC: comint.el - comint-highlight-prompt and unreadable colors

From: Jari Aalto+mail.emacs
Subject: Re: RFC: comint.el - comint-highlight-prompt and unreadable colors
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:34:41 +0200

* Mon 2007-03-26 Miles Bader <miles.bader AT necel.com> gmane.emacs.devel
> Romain Francoise <romain AT orebokech.com> writes:
>
>>> On windows, I don't know, but it's probably a similar problem.
>>
>> I don't think it's related to TERM, PuTTY sets it to "xterm".
>
> Actually that's probably the _reason_ the problem arises:  If TERM =
> "xterm", then Emacs assumes a light background (it's a hack, but it was
> decided when we discussed this a long time ago that light-background
> xterm instances were more common than dark-background instances,
> especially for newbies).
>
>> Actually, the `frame-set-background-mode' function suggests that the
>> logic is a bit more convoluted...
>
> No doubt.  But it seems pretty likely this is the problem Jari is
> seeing, and the solution is obvious:  he should customize
> `frame-background-mode' to match his environment.

Perhaps there is miunderstanding. I have been talking about general
problem, nothing special to my environment. The problem also happens
if user changes the background of rxvt (see previous pictures) at
least under Cygwin X11.

Would not default value 'bold, instead of cyan, work better?

Jari