Re: Emacs 22 branch created.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 branch created.
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 00:14:03 +0300

> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:50:26 +0200
> From: Henrik Enberg <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > I'd also like to remind us the rmail-mbox branch, which we also wanted
> > to merge post-22.1.
>
> I'm not sure it is suitable for immediate merging

IMO, if it's not merged now, it will be another long wait.  So we had
better merge it now and fix all that needs fixing, while most people
are using the pretest branch.

>   * At the moment, it is slightly worse than current Rmail when it comes
>     to non-ascii support.  One of the major points of moving to the mbox
>     format is to be compatible with external tools, and that rules out
>     storing mailboxes in emacs-mule form, which old Rmail does.  I'm
>     still not sure what the best approach here would be here.  UTF-8?
>     Raw text?

Neither.  I think you should encode it and store it encoded, like it
would be when it comes from the wire.

>   * Gnus BABYL support will break.  Since the new Rmail no longer knows
>     how to decode BABYL, neither will Gnus.

Why cannot we retain the BABYL support?  It won't hurt leaving it
alone: e.g., all my email archives are in BABYL format, and I'd like
to be able to read them, even if only thru unrmail or b2m.

>   * The mime support is _very_ basic, but I guess that's not really a
>     change from old Rmail.

Yes, that is not a problem, since the current Rmail doesn't support
MIME at all.