Re: html-mode demanding <html> a bit too tight

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: html-mode demanding <html> a bit too tight
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:41:08 +0200

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

> Kim F. Storm wrote:
>> Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>>     I think if you install a ~150 line patch that affects how modes are
>>>     selected, another pretest will be needed.
>>>
>>> Please do not exaggerate.  There are about 52 lines of code changes,
>>> bu most of them are just indentation changes.  Real changes are about
>>> 20 lines.
>>>
>>> But I agree we should make one more pretest.
>>>
>>> This problem really bothers people, so we should not leave it unfixed.
>>
>> Richard, sorry for shouting, but how else can I make you listen:
>>
>> WHAT _REALLY_ BOTHERS PEOPLE IS THAT EMACS 22.1 IS NOT RELEASED YET.
>

> I beg to differ. The current situation is very inconvenient and
> confusing sometimes when you open for example php files.

There have been five years to go about fixing this.  NOW IS NOT THE
TIME!!!

> I can understand that this does not bother you at all as long as you
> do not do something similar to that, but please have patience with
> us who tries to make it possible to use Emacs for those kind of
> things too.

If we have patience for every user of any of the multitude of modes
for all combinations of every little problem, to the degree to let
them mess with variables affecting _all_ users at any point in the
release process, there will never be a release and _all_ users are
left out in the cold.

We are in the final release stage.  Anything but last-minute
regressions or catastrophic failure is _not_ supposed to hold up the
release.

There will _always_ be fixes to apply, year after year, decade after
decade.  We can't get every conceivable fix into every release.

Much more and worse problems will crop up after the release, and
dealing with them (which requires hearing about them) is _held_ _up_
indefinitely by never ever releasing Emacs to the public.

I am _very_ certain that the last few problems that have nonsensically
blocked the release for the fast few weeks will be _dwarfed_ by the
amounts of bugs that still remain.  There is no _point_ in holding up
the release further.  It _delays_ further development, further
bugfixes, alienates users and developers and makes Emacs a far _worse_
editor than it could be if it was released to people actually _using_
it heavy-duty, instead of keeping a small circle playing around with
buglets that are comparatively irrelevant for normal use and have easy
and understandable workarounds.

Instead we are _still_ forcing people to work with Emacs versions that
are 6 years old and _far_ _far_ buggier than anything we could have
released in the last few months or even years.

It is a bloody shame.