Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:59:14 -0400

Juri Linkov wrote:

> To create links in the startup screen, I modified the previous patch
> to use the function `insert-button' from button.el to allow
> navigation between links and better processing of their actions. I
> hope there are no problems with this because this function is
> auto-loaded.

It looks like a very nice feature. Some quick comments:

1. This is about the non-fancy splash screen only. In the initial
   splash screen (the one that appears after emacs starts), the links
   work. But if I later on choose Help->About Emacs, the links don't
   work; I guess since any action makes the splash screen disappear.

2. In the fancy splash screen, the text continues to cycle when the
   mouse is over a link. This means that one can have the mouse over
   the "Tutorial" link, but before one can press it the text cycles so
   that "Exit Emacs" is under the cursor. Ouch. Is there a way to
   disable the text cycling while the mouse is over a link?