Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:45:01 +0300

> For instance, after the recent changes, the default normal tty startup
> text doesn't fit in a 24-line screen.  That is a real problem.
>
> How shall we make it fit on a 24-line screen?

I changed this screen to fit on 24 lines: moved "Browse manuals" to the
same line as "Emacs manual", and squeezed Useful tasks into two lines.

Also I renamed the buffer " About GNU Emacs" to "*About GNU Emacs*", and
" GNU Emacs" to "*GNU Emacs*", because otherwise it defeats the purpose of
all recent changes which was to make the *scratch* buffer less accessible.
Before renaming when the user selects a link on the startup screen (for
instance, to read the manual), and after reading exits from Info, then
the *scratch* buffer becomes the current buffer!  That's because the
leading space in the startup buffer name hides this buffer after exiting
from Info.  Now after renaming to "*GNU Emacs*", the user returns to the
startup screen after exiting from Info, and can continue reading more
information from the startup screen and can select another link.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/