Re: Carbon port emacs-unicode-2 build problem under MacOSX

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Carbon port emacs-unicode-2 build problem under MacOSX
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 08:19:07 -0600

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 14:52:23 +0900 YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> wrote:

>> That aside, it has better integration with the MacOS, a nice
>> Preferences dialog, better font rendering, and other improvements
>> listed in the ChangeLog.

YM> What is "better integration with the MacOS", concretely?

You and I could look through the ChangeLog and see all the differences.
As an example, the MacOS font and color pickers are available.  I think
those are much better than the default cross-platform font/color
pickers.

YM> In what sense the font rendering in the Carbon port is worse?

According to the ChangeLog they have improved several aspects of the
font rendering; to me it looks better.  I could be wrong.

YM> And I don't think the Preference dialog that can't be controlled from
YM> Emacs Lisp is suitable for Emacs.

I don't know about this.  I think this is a good thing because it works
better for new users, and the regular Customize interface is still
available under Options->Customize Emacs.  On the other hand, it's
inconsistent with other platforms to have a special preferences dialog.

YM> It says about the *GUI* APIs in Carbon, not the whole Carbon APIs.
YM> That's why I'm making the Carbon+AppKit port (for Emacs 22) mentioned
YM> elsewhere:

YM>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-09/msg00395.html

Note the Cocoa port offers GNUstep compatibility, which Richard has
mentioned is important.  This may be important to the Emacs project; I
don't have an opinion.

I can look at your port too.  But I can't find it online.  Is it
available?  I'll gladly test it, offer suggestions, etc. if you need
that assistance.  It's hard to say more about your work or compare it
with the Cocoa port otherwise.

>> I assumed that the deprecation warnings I saw while compiling the
>> Carbon port were Apple's way of telling developers the Carbon APIs
>> are deprecated.  Am I wrong?

YM> It wouldn't go away soon for the binary compatibility for existing
YM> Carbon applications.  And the warnings are not about the whole Carbon,
YM> again.  Actually, as for the Carbon+AppKit port in 64-bit environment,
YM> it compiles without any `deprecated' warnings and runs, though there
YM> still remain a few major problems such as suspected ATSUI bug, which
YM> I've already reported to Apple, and some unexec problem.

Thank you for the information.  Sounds like Carbon is only deprecated
selectively (the GUI portions as you mentioned) so it's not as dead as I
thought.

Ted