Re: Default of send-mail-function

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Default of send-mail-function
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 01:50:29 +0100

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
> Reiner Steib wrote:
>> [ Shifting this to emacs-devel ]
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 07 2008, Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>>
>>> Just a question since I do not understand:
>>>
>>> I told earlier that on w32 this works because the bug reporter falls
>>> back to using the system mail program (as an example this in my case
>>> Thunderbird). Why can't this be done on other systems as well today?
>>
>> On GNU/Linux, send-mail-function typically defaults to
>> send-mail-function. [1] I.e. the mail is feed to /usr/sbin/sendmail.
>> /usr/sbin/sendmail typically exist on every GNU/Linux systems, however
>> on today's end-user desktops, it's quite likely that it has not have
>> been configured correctly.
>>

> Is there not something similar on GNU/Linux?

On vaguely recent desktops following freedesktop.org ,
"xdg-email" should be a command that will open and populate a new mail
in the user's "preferred email composer".

xdg-email --subject foo --body bar address@hidden

Emacs presumably could/should try to use that on gnu/linux...

http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/XdgUtils
http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/EmailConfig