Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 21:51:05 -0600

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
>> The more options we offer, the more confused people will be.
>
> ... unless each person finds the option adequate for him among the
> available ones.
>
> What is confusing, IMHO, is to provide several options with similar
> degree of complexity, and that demand from the user to apply new
> concepts and see himself on not-yet-experienced scenarios for deciding
> which one is the right one for him.

I agree, we should not do that.  Are we doing that?  My intention has
always been to recommend

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs#RegularContributors

as the place to start.

> I have no problem at all deleting the document if it damages the
> transition to Bazaar. But so far, your reasons for doing it are not
> convincing at all to me and just demonstrates a misunderstanding of the
> demography of Emacs and their current VC practices.
>
> All this said with respect and appreciation.

Understood.

I'm beginning to realize it doesn't matter.  Once Emacs switches, we'll
see what people really need, and then we'll provide it.  So I'm not
going to worry about it.  We'll switch, and there will be grumbling, and
then it will be fine.  IMHO, we already have prepared all the
documentation we can in advance.

Best,
-K