Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102478: shr.el(shr-tag-color-check):Convert co

From: Julien Danjou
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102478: shr.el(shr-tag-color-check):Convert colors to hexadecimal withshr-color->hexadecimal.
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:33:34 +0100

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
On Wed, Nov 24 2010, Drew Adams wrote:

> 1. Change any calls of those two functions to use the corresponding hexrgb.el
> functions instead.  Then test the color-lab use (the two versions might not be
> exactly equivalent, even if they do essentially the same thing).

These 2 functions are not used by any code in color-lab (or Gnus). They
have been merged in because, well, I wrote them so it seemed like a good
idea to no throw them in the trash right.

> 2. Since there is apparently no other overlap, put all of the code from the
> two
> libraries into a single file.
>
> 3. Choose a new file name and fix the name prefixes accordingly. "hexrgb" is
> probably not general enough (it is not even general enough for all that it
> does
> now, since the name reflects only RGB, not HSV).  I don't think "color-lab"
> is a
> good name for this general library either; this is not just about CIELAB.
>
> How about just "color.el"?

Since it will end in Emacs, fine with me. I did not choose color.el on
start on Lars advice, since, that name was too generic. But a generic
name for a generic color library in Emacs sounds good. :)

> Yidong might want to do #4, since it involves some deciding and he is familiar
> with the Emacs `read-color' code and recent changes.

I agree.

> Why not merge only the parts of color-lab.el that involve color manipulations
> with hexrgb.el, and keep the rest (e.g. heuristics about readability and
> color-blindness, color-vision profiles, HTML use etc.) in a separate Emacs
> library?

It's already in a separate library called shr-color.el.

> IOW, _if_ color-lab.el has both (a) general color-manipulation/conversion
> functions and (b) application-specific functions that use those general
> functions, then wouldn't it make sense to keep the latter separate?  (No, I
> don't care - it's just a question.)

It has only (a).

What I can do on my side is:
1. Rename color-lab.el to color.el
2. Merge things other people sends inside, as long as it's basic color
   manipulation related stuff (conversion, etc).

Sounds good?

--
Julien Danjou
// ᐰ <address@hidden>   http://julien.danjou.info