Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 10:00:28 +0100

Once again, if those ideas seem strange, let alone incorrect, to
you-all out there, just say the word, and I will step down.  Then I
can stop worrying about the portable dumper, and you can stop worrying
about my strange ideas.  Emacs is not my private project; I'm only
entitled to promote my ideas if the others either support them or
trust me to DTRT.  Please decide which one is it, and let's move on.

Eli, I think you are doing a fantastic job.

The only problem that seems to happen from time to time is that the discussions starts getting personal and ends up with people saying threats like "if you put my code in a branch I will fork Emacs" or "if you don't agree with my ideas I will step down", which is just a way of saying "my way or the highway". Using these rethorics is not constructive and doesn't do anyone any good.

To me it looks like the only real problem here is communication, we should all argue less and try to put ourselves in the other's schoes.

To Daniel, it's important that his work does not bitrot somewhere like the concurrency branch did. It's also important that he feels there's a strong chance of his code getting merged before he works more on it.
To Eli, it's important to have Daniel's code more "production ready" (documentation, etc), and also to give the simpler implementation ideas a try to avoid having to switch/maintain different systems twice in a short period of time.

Both needs are understandable and valid. Nobody is wrong here.

To me it's clear that given the requirements, we can plan something that would satisfy both... for example.

<Eli> Daniel, we'll give other people one month to come up with a sketch of the alternative idea to see if it's feasible or not. If nothing comes up after one month, we'll start working on merging your branch.

My 0.02$
Philippe