Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 16:28:58 -0500

  > "Unenjoyable"?  It's intolerable.  It would mean that on my watch
  > something happened that I believe is detrimental to a project which I
  > took upon myself to improve, and I saw it happening and didn't prevent
  > it.  Can you understand my plight?

You have explained a possible drawback of the portable dumper:
it could make maintenance more difficult some years from now.

No one can doubt that this is a possibility.  People do disagree about
how much of a problem it is likely to be.  Many of us don't expect it
will make a big difference.  You forecast that it could.

But you've got to admit that it is uncertain.  We're all making
guesstimates about probabilities.

So if we install the portable dumper, please don't treat it as a
certain disaster.  It would increase some problems quantitatively, and
reduce other problems quantitatively.

--
Dr Richard Stallman