Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Some bugs and feature requests

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Some bugs and feature requests
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:53:34 +0100

On 20 Apr 2004, at 22:17, Jody Klymak wrote:
Hi Gary,

"Gary V.Vaughan" <address@hidden> writes:

On 20 Apr 2004, at 21:01, Jody Klymak wrote:
"Gary V. Vaughan" <address@hidden> writes:
My journal mode has one wiki page per Category (topic), and puts
cross- reference links in each category page pointing back at the
new entry.

Hmmm, which is what remember-planner does.  So I'm not sure what the
OP was after that is different.

I was referring to auto-completion.

remember-planner auto-completes on existing plan pages (excluding the
date pages).

Ah, okay then.  Dunno :-?

Requiring unique filenames does not seem too onerous, seeing how
planner already requires them.  In fact, diagnosing unique filenames
wouldn't be too much of a problem, unless the user made a file by hand
that had the same name as another in the hierarchy.

Even then, emacs-wiki can be made to complain about that while it is
populating its alist.

Hmmm, but what happens when I first create the page?  i.e. I type
NewPage and then follow the link.  How do I determine where it gets
stored for the first time?  In the top directory?  In the directory of
the present page?  Then how do I re-categorize it?  Move it by hand?

It'll get dropped in the project root directory unless you create it
using a full path (with exceptions like planner-mode being at liberty
to put day pages into a heirarchy automatically).  Then you can
recategorize either by hand, and then rebuild the alist (I guess we
can get the page-finding functions to automatically reindex if a page
is missing on first inspection to avoid the manual alist rebuild), or
else use 'M-x emacs-wiki-move-wiki'.

Or, when the page is created for the first time does there need to be
a set of prompts asking where to put it in the hierarchy?

That could be a customize-mode option if you'd like.

It'd also be nice if the flat directory structure was also possible.

That's still the default for the code I've written so far.  It seems
like needless pain to get the modified planner-mode to use the 365 new
pages per year in the root directory model again...

Anyways, I think this is a pretty cool idea.  Not sure how easy it is
to hack into the existing code though.  Seems that in addition to
keeping track of filenames, you need to keep track of file
locations.

Its elisp... No problem!  If I wasn't fighting this weekend, I'd do it
then :-)

Cheers,
        Gary.
- --