fgs-bs

Re: [Fgs-bs] Welcome and feature list

From: tps12
Subject: Re: [Fgs-bs] Welcome and feature list
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:19:58 -0400

Desired Username wrote:
I'm not really sure what you mean by "keyed by login
name" or "stored as filenames".  I know there's a
username.data file or whatever that stores a user's
data.  That should stay as-is, because it's nice and
easy to find and modify a user from the CL. Internally, I saw the users in a big array. If that
array is always in the same order, the UID is the
array position, right?

If I'd know you were going to reply to the list, I would have explained why I think UIDs would be better.

1. Using usernames for file names is convenient, but it limits legal usernames to legal filenames. Currently, usernames are limited to alphanumeric characters, and the main impediment to loosening the requirement is that it's hard for the server to know which special characters are illegal and what the maximum filename length is on the filesystem.

2. It looks like the array only contains logged-in users and is filled in order of login (a user who logs and her data are stored in the first free array slot). So array position is not a reliable key.

Keying users by UID would replace username.data files with uid.data files. Fast lookup by name would still be possible by building a name->UID map at startup and maintaining it during execution. CL editing would then require grepping for the username (which could be slow, depending on the number of users), or the map data could be stored in a file.

Yeah.  Also good for scripted testing.  Or bot
programmerizing.  That's another feature.  Support
bots.  Of course, that should be automatic--anything a
client can do a bot can do.  Just keep in mind that we
shouldn't do anything that would somehow exclude bots.

/me scratches Turing Test at login

Hmm...email archives aren't going to be useful as a
place to keep track of features unless we mark them
somehow to easily search for them later.

FEETURE: bot support