fgs-bs

Re: [Fgs-bs] Welcome and feature list

From: Desired Username
Subject: Re: [Fgs-bs] Welcome and feature list
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:38:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- tps12 <address@hidden> wrote:
> Desired Username wrote:
> > I changed the mailing list default so this should
> work
> > now.  Can you get in to the mailing list admin
> > interface?
>
> No, you're the list admin. Lots of people are
> opposed to altering the
> Reply To header (e.g., I use the Reply To header
> when I email from home.
> If you overwrite it, then people may try to email me
> directly
> @tps12.dyndns.org, and if my system's down then I
> never get the email.
> Assuming "people" would ever read this list). But,
> whatever makes your
> life easier. Fascist.

The mailing list is an additional reply-to, so your's
should stay there.  I think.

> (I wouldn't normally send this to the list, but
> there be topical
> discussion below.)
>
> > Oh, good point.  In fact, I bet it limits people
> > ASCII usernames, so they can't have one in their
> own
> > language.  Hmm, maybe that's a good idea anyway,
> else
> > how can English speaking people differentiate
> between
> > boxboxboxbox and boxboxboxbox?
>
> Well, whose fault is it if those English speakers
> don't have proper
> international font support?

This is a system thing, right?  So if we did the Right
Thing, it wouldn't work?

> > OIC.  So would you be getting rid of the global
> array?
> >  Or would that stay there but you add a UID to the
> > data?  That second one sounds more plausible and
> > useful.
>
> The array needs to stay there, probably in something
> like its current
> form. Any functions that use parray indices by
> definition only need a
> key that's valid until the user logs out.

More importantly, if you passed users around
internally by UID, you'd have to do a lookup every
time to get their data, whereas an array is random
access.