fgs-bs

Re: [Fgs-bs] Welcome and feature list

From: tps12
Subject: Re: [Fgs-bs] Welcome and feature list
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:22:36 -0400

Desired Username wrote:
Well, whose fault is it if those English speakers
don't have proper international font support?

This is a system thing, right?  So if we did the
Right
Thing, it wouldn't work?

What do you mean by a "system thing?"

I mean no matter we did, they'd still have to have the
right fonts installed and so on to be able to handle
people's "real" names.

Oh, yes. I would prefer to ask people to install fonts than to ask others to change their names. However, this may not be practical. The player struct has a field for "name" (which is not the same as "fullname" and not the same as "login") perhaps we could use this as a Unicode alias (if it's not being used for something else already), and clients could choose whether to display the Unicode or ASCII name.

OK, good.  Just checking, some people appear sane
until you see how they program...

We wouldn't be having this discussion if it were in Java. Or even C++. Just saying.