freecycle-users

[Freecycle-users] Re: [Swami-devel] Soundfont export

From: Josh Green
Subject: [Freecycle-users] Re: [Swami-devel] Soundfont export
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:13:12 -0700

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 14:28 +0200, Predrag Viceic wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm the author of Freecycle, a newcomer in the linux audio scene. As you may
> have already heard, Freecycle is a beatslicer, which, among other fine
> features,  exports audio chunks and a midi file  for playing those chunks.
>
> I was thinking for several months now, about adding the soundfont2 export to
> freecycle, which would facilitate the use of sliced loops for the people who
> are using software samplers (Freecycle already exports .AKP files)
>
> I have taken some insight in libinstpatch internals and everything seems
> quite
> clear to me.
>
> The problem is that I want to keep Freecycle portable to other platforms
> (osx)
> and I saw that libinstpatch depends on gnome. Is this dependency really
> important for all the aspects of sf2 creation, or would it be possible to
> somehow remove it?
>
> Any form of help would be greately appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Predrag Viceic
> http://www.redsteamrecords.com/freecycle

Hello Predrag,
libInstPatch is not dependent on gnome, and there are no plans to make
it, or Swami, dependent on it.  Additionally it is already running on OS
X using fink, and I have plans to get it running soon on Windows systems
as well for the cram compression utility since it is the compression
format being used on the online instrument database that I'm almost
ready to deploy.
Let me know if I can be of any help to you in using it to export from
Freecycle.  The API of libInstPatch is not yet stable.  Most changes are
additions to the API though, so I imagine the portion of the API that
handles saving to SoundFont files will probably not change anytime soon.
The goal is of course to have a stable libInstPatch and libswami API but
that will take a little time.  Best regards,
        Josh Green