Re: [Freetype]2.0 release install problems on Unix systems

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype]2.0 release install problems on Unix systems
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 16:41:10 +0100

Hi Werner,

> Yes.

God damn !! Couldn't have we spotted this problem earlier ??

> >   I have not monitored Unix builds until now, and I'd like to know
> >   Werner's opinion on the subject ? In the meantime, I'll change the
> >   default install path to "$prefix/include/freetype2" instead of
> >   "$prefix/include/freetype"
>
> Hmm.  I think it isn't a good idea that UNIX behaves differently
> compared to other platforms.  Additionally, the demo programs no
> longer serve as `real' examples since the header file paths are
> different.
>
> What about using `ft2' instead of `freetype2', even in the FT library
> itself?  So we would have
>
>   #include <ft2/internal/...>
>
> etc.
>
> This fix can be done quickly, and it assures that future header
> versions can get a directory of its own if necessary.

The header files didn't change because the "fix" was to install the
header files as follows:

   $(prefix)/include/freetype2/
                       freetype/
                          config/
                          cache/
                          internals/
                          freetype.h

The only "down-side" is that applications need to be compiled with
a specific include path, like -I/usr/local/include/freetype2.
(non-Unix platforms already require this)

Note that "make install" now installs a script named "freetype-config" that
can be used by other configure scripts to detect where FreeType 2 is installed
and what compiler or linker flags to use when an application uses the
library.. with commands like:

  "freetype-config --cflags"  => returns C flags to use, e.g.
"-I$(prefix)/freetype2"
  "freetype-config --libs"    => returns linker flags, e.g.    "-L$(prefix)/lib
-lfreetype"

Note that I didn't write an ACLOCAL macro though, but I hope some Autoconf
expert out there will be able to do that soon.. Except than that, I believe
we're now pretty Unix-compliant !

Any comments ??

- David