Re: [Freetype]2.0 release install problems on Unix systems

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype]2.0 release install problems on Unix systems
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 23:44:11 +0100

Hi Werner,

> > > Yes.
> > >
> > God damn !! Couldn't have we spotted this problem earlier ??
>
> Sorry, I haven't time to think about more intensively -- I still don't
> know a good solution w.r.t. 8+3
>
> What about `freetype.2' (note the dot)?

Hummm. I don't know, really, will this work on Dos ?

> > The header files didn't change because the "fix" was to install the
> > header files as follows:
> >
> >    $(prefix)/include/freetype2/
> >                        freetype/
> >                           config/
> >                           cache/
> >                           internals/
> >                           freetype.h
>
> This is really ugly...

Agreed, but it works, and the source code doesn't need to be changed
at all, which certainly isn't a bad thing given the number of projects
that already depend on FT2.

I would add that this is also the scheme that is used by glib-2.0,
gtk-2.0, etc.. on the gnome front (with "glib-config", "gtk-config",
etc..), and it seems to work pretty well..

> > Note that "make install" now installs a script named
> > "freetype-config" that can be used by other configure scripts to
> > detect where FreeType 2 is installed and what compiler or linker
> > flags to use when an application uses the library.. with commands
> > like:
>
> This is nice, of course.

Definitely.. !

> > Any comments?
>
> Can we somehow avoid `freetype2/freetype/config'... on UNIX platforms?

You don't need to #include <freetype2/freetype/...> in your sources,
so I think it's really a minor annoyance.. what we need now is:

  - a good ACLOCAL macro definition
  - correct RPM and DEB specification files

I'd like if someone could volunteer here ??

- David