Re: [Freetype]2.0 release install problems on Unix systems

From: Stefan Seefeld
Subject: Re: [Freetype]2.0 release install problems on Unix systems
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 10:53:40 -0500

David Turner wrote:

> The header files didn't change because the "fix" was to install the
> header files as follows:
>
>    $(prefix)/include/freetype2/
>                        freetype/
>                           config/
>                           cache/
>                           internals/
>                           freetype.h
>
> The only "down-side" is that applications need to be compiled with
> a specific include path, like -I/usr/local/include/freetype2.
> (non-Unix platforms already require this)
>
> Note that "make install" now installs a script named "freetype-config" that
> can be used by other configure scripts to detect where FreeType 2 is installed
> and what compiler or linker flags to use when an application uses the
> library.. with commands like:
>
>   "freetype-config --cflags"  => returns C flags to use, e.g.
> "-I$(prefix)/freetype2"
>   "freetype-config --libs"    => returns linker flags, e.g.
> "-L$(prefix)/lib -lfreetype"
>
> Note that I didn't write an ACLOCAL macro though, but I hope some Autoconf
> expert out there will be able to do that soon.. Except than that, I believe
> we're now pretty Unix-compliant !
>
> Any comments ??

I understand the problem of conflicting headers. And I think a perfect solution
is to
let the user decide where to install freetype(2). That should of course be
reflected
by freetype-config.
That being said, I don't see a need for the subdirectory 'freetype2'. Either,
the user
already uses an older freetype version, at which point he could just install
freetype2
elsewhere, or he does not, than it doesn't matter anyway. May be the Makefile
could check
for an existing freetype installation and warn about it. I'd guess that not
many people
will use both versions anyway...
Of course, there is still a theoretical problem, which appears if you'd need to
work with
both versions in the same project, i.e. you'd need be sure that the
preprocessor chooses
the right '-I' statement for the right file. But that seems purely academical,
as no-one will
ever use freetype 1 and freetype 2 in the same project.

Regards,        Stefan

PS: for binary packages, I'd suggest to pay attention that they are relocatable
(rpm, deb),
    to avoid aforementioned conflict.

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique