RE: [Fsfe-uk] NCC Filetab for Linux

From: Martyn Ranyard
Subject: RE: [Fsfe-uk] NCC Filetab for Linux
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 16:33:24 +0100

At 04:25 PM 7/1/02 +0100, Tom Weiss wrote:
I also find it moot that the key reason OSI mentions for coining the new
phrase was 'to dump the confrontational attitude that has been
associated with "free software"'

On the other hand the term "open source" has been hijacked by companies like Micro$oft to mean anything but Free Software, so what do we do, invent another term, or, as has been successful in the past - reclaim the language. Use Free Software to mean what it actually does, and if anyone misunderstands, educate them. Free Software is Free, but "open source" doesn't have to be - you can open the source and tell people they cannot use it, or modify it, or copy it. You can even open source a project to a limited few who have to sign NDAs. Admittedly it wouldn't fit the OSI definition, but do the people "opening" their source care? There's more weight behind calling something Free Software, it's obvious why it's called Free Software, and IMHO it's harder to abuse the phrase.

Martyn Ranyard
Free Software Advocate

jabber - address@hidden
icq    - 122500800