RE: [Fsfe-uk] NCC Filetab for Linux

From: Tom Weiss
Subject: RE: [Fsfe-uk] NCC Filetab for Linux
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 16:25:39 +0100

> What utter nonsense! When talking about "free" as in "freedom", the
> boundary is perfectly clear-cut and very well defined. Try for
example:

[Tom Weiss says]

The very fact that one needs to say, "free as in freedom not free beer",
demonstrates that the distinction is not clear at first sight. Indeed
this is probably one of the reasons that the term "open source" has
become more popular in the mainstream press.

I also find it moot that the key reason OSI mentions for coining the new
phrase was 'to dump the confrontational attitude that has been
associated with "free software"'

This thread, unfortunately, only highlights this depressing problem
rather than promoting the use of free software.

:-(

t.