[Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:22:59 +0100

When negotiating sponsorship recently, there was some discussion between the people arranging it about what is appropriate compensation for a sponsor and what limits AFFS should place on sponsorship. A compromise was made for this one case, but we wish to have guidelines for future cases. I have reviewed emails I received about this sponsorship, suggestions for imminent sponsorship and previous discussions on fsfe-uk about sponsorship. I summarise them here.

Proposal:

Any sponsors of AFFS items should be indicated on the sponsored item in the form of a message. Any sponsor-produced message must be based in fact, to the satisfaction of AFFS. If no message is offered by the sponsor, AFFS should insert a message of the form "AFFS would like to thank sponsorname for task". If the sponsor wishes to remain anonymous, the message should be of the form "AFFS would like to thank sponsors for task". Messages should not cover more than 5% of the exposed surface of an AFFS item. Sponsors should be mentioned during normal discussion of the item or task.

Sponsorship of items by AFFS may be undertaken when the item furthers the aims of AFFS. Messages should cover at least 5% of the exposed surface of a sponsored non-AFFS item.

Sponsor messages must be approved by the executive committee.

Notes: "must" indicates an obligation; "should" indicates an intention, but there is no liability or penality for not acting as described.

Particular questions of interest:

Do you think the attractions of sponsorship are sufficient for sponsors?
Do the limits on sponsorship protect AFFS enough?
Should we combine both sponsorship of AFFS and sponsorship by AFFS into one statement, as above?
Are there notable omissions from this?
Do you know of sponsorship practices that you regard as good examples for AFFS?

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden