Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:43:54 +0100

On 2003-10-15 10:57:39 +0100 Andrew Savory <address@hidden> wrote:

(There's been references by Mark to "opinions expressed so far" ... I
haven't seen them on this list. Were they on the affs-cttee-cabal list?)

During that thread, people seemed keen on using the money for some sort of "award" or "prize" for other free software projects, discussing accounting in detail, but I don't know if anyone has acted on that yet. It seemed that only one person suggested using it for AFFS running costs. Other than "I believe that Marc..." you should have seen it all before.

I doubt listings on our web site would be much incentive - we don't get even near the amount of traffic the FSF/FSFE gets. (How much traffic _do_
we get?)

I didn't know, so I just threw the logs through analog for a summary. Output is at http://www.affs.org.uk/~mjr/webstats/ for now, but will be removed later (or when I get flamed for something in it). Headline figure: 200 pages and 480 hits per day in the last week.

  - how do we get their leaflets to AFFS events?

So far, it has been by people carrying them. The 10000 uklinux.net sponsored leaflets were delivered to our LinuxExpo stand by uklinux.net.

  - do we carry them away again at the end?

The 8000 uklinux.net sponsored leaflets were taken to Cambridge by a debian-uk member after LinuxExpo. (I'm not sure if he wants his name published.)

Of course, any advertising should only be for parts of their business
not related to proprietary software.
This would be difficult to police.

I agree. Ideally, we should try to give some guidelines for how we're going to decide, but leave it as a case-by-case decision. I guess that is why Brian put "should" rather than "must".

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden