Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship

From: Brian Gough
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:52:13 +0100

MJ Ray writes:
 > Any sponsors of AFFS items should be indicated on the sponsored item
 > in the form of a message.

I would prefer that literature on free software did not have company
logos on it, as I think it would diminish the message -- and has
practical problems (see below).

An example of existing practice: FSF/FSFE both use the same model --
pay an annual fee for a listing on the website and the company can use
the patron logo in their literature that year.  This is very simple
and avoids value judgments over acceptable sponsors.

However, it does not provide much benefit to the sponsor. I believe
its possible to go beyond this, without creating too many problems, if
the sponsor's business is not in conflict with AFFS aims.

In that case the best approach in my opinion for AFFS distribute
advertising leaflets for sponsors alongside its own material for any
companies that donate to AFFS.  This avoids the problem of reprinting
things if the company stops being a sponsor or a new one is added.  Of
course, any advertising should only be for parts of their business not
related to proprietary software.

--
Brian Gough