Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:58:56 +0100

On 2003-10-14 16:29:49 +0100 Jason Clifford <address@hidden> wrote:

I would like to see something added to make it clear that beyond what is stated above sponsors wont be able to influence AFFS's relationship with any other organisation, whether by means of conditions on sponsorship or any other means.

As I'm sure you know, AFFS cannot control whether a sponsor chooses to offer sponsorship or not, so I cannot see how to phrase that in the statement. It seems likely that any attempt to impose further conditions on the sponsorship offer would cause it to be rejected, given the opinions I've seen recently. A corrupt AFFS would surely cause other sponsors to withdraw and harm the pursuit of the aims, so I think other actions could be taken if it happened.

Given that questions seem to have been raised regarding the use of the UKFSN donated money I think it would be beneficial to have a clear understanding of whether there will be any limits placed on how this is to be spent.

Given the opinions expressed so far, I believe that we intend to use it solely for funding free software production and promotion projects, and continue using the subscription fees for running costs. There should be a request for comments about a suggested method of doing that in the near future. I think that Marc is currently researching methods used by other groups. As always, if there is a particularly good example that someone would like to point to, either email Marc or post to this list.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden