Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:29:49 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, MJ Ray wrote:

> Any sponsors of AFFS items should be indicated on the sponsored item
> in the form of a message.
> Any sponsor-produced message must be based in fact, to the
> satisfaction of AFFS.
> If no message is offered by the sponsor, AFFS should insert a message
> of the form "AFFS would like to thank sponsorname for task".
> If the sponsor wishes to remain anonymous, the message should be of
> the form "AFFS would like to thank sponsors for task".
> Messages should not cover more than 5% of the exposed surface of an
> AFFS item.
> Sponsors should be mentioned during normal discussion of the item or
> task.

That all seems reasonable.

I would like to see something added to make it clear that beyond what is
stated above sponsors wont be able to influence AFFS's relationship with
any other organisation, whether by means of conditions on sponsorship or
any other means.

Obviously the sponsor may have influence by way of being an AFFS member.

Given that questions seem to have been raised regarding the use of the
UKFSN donated money I think it would be beneficial to have a clear
understanding of whether there will be any limits placed on how this is to
be spent.

Personally I don't see the point in ring fencing the money as all of
AFFS's activities seem to fall within the bounds of benefit to the UK
Free Software communities. That's just my opinion however and I know that
at least one other opinion on this has already been put forward.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG               Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/           ADSL Broadband available now