Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:24:09 +0100

On 2003-10-16 08:46:12 +0100 Marc Eberhard <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm personnally more and more convinced, that we should rather turn a
sponsor down than being abused for their own PR. This will loose us some
donations, but I'm more than willing to accept this.

Is having an advert on a sponsored item "being abused"? It seems more abusive if someone paying for an item can expect advertising on unrelated material. I think linking the benefit to the sponsored item is a good idea. If we want to stop advertising the sponsor, we stop using the item.

It also avoids all the trouble of the right wording and size of boxes on printed material right from the beginning. It's a trade-off. Do we want donations under any circumstances or do we want donors to accept our strict
rules?

This isn't an either/or where we must allow everyone to trample us, or impose hard rules that I think will drive nearly all sponsors away. I would like us to balance AFFS needs with the expected desires of sponsors. If we want a hard position, then allowing all or nearly nothing are the easiest, but it may not be very effective.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden