Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship

From: Marc Eberhard
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Sponsorship
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:20:26 +0100

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 11:56:26AM +0100, Andrew Savory wrote:
> I guess it depends how principled we want to be. Is it okay for us to
> accept a £1000 donation from Microsoft UK?
>
> If not, why not?

I would say, if we go for the web page approach, no problem. They can appear
there for a year (or whatever) as a donor. If we go for a notice on printed
material, I surely would have severe problems looking at an AFFS leaflet
with a big box saying: "Thanks to MS for this leaflet!" I would consider
this counterproductive to our cause. That's why I clearly favour the idea of
a donor's web page and a pointer to it on leaflets and other PR material.

I also think, that the donor's page should include details of the donation,
if the donor wishes so. Whether that is a monetary value or the description
of the item doesn't matter to me. I see no problem in stating: Company xyz
gave xxx pounds and company zyx printed 10000 leaflets for us. The listing
should probably be in alphabetic order to avoid a ranking as Andrew
correctly pointed out, that this would be difficult to do anyway.

Thanks,
Marc

email: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
email: address@hidden, web: http://www.aston.ac.uk/~eberhama/