Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:07:12 +0200

On Monday 20 October 2003 1:49 pm, Andrew Savory wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, MJ Ray wrote:

> > For what purpose?  Announcements?  Advertising to members?  Vote
> > drafting?  I'm not just sure whether you are after something like
> > debian-devel, spi-members or the newsletter address list and where it
> > fits between -announce and -discuss.

I do not think everyone who parts with 10 quid really wants to see discussions
that at present tend  to be technical at times.

AFFS should encourage more non programmer ...actually casual computer users
who simply value freedom.

> Anything that needs to be sent to members, but that isn't necessarily
> appropriate for a public discussion list. So:
>
> - newsletter (as you mentioned)
> - requests (eg "we need AFFS members to man the stand at linux expo")
> - votes (since it's members-only we know all votes are valid)

+ the final circulation of RFCs so that no one misses it.

> - etc

Actually my wish is to have some AFFS infrastructure in place with GNU Mailman
(which is not that difficult to install and maintain).

Eg:
One project I will like to see explored is GNOME-UK.
With high quality locally developed software like Dasher (GTK based),
localisation support to mirror the multicultural aspects (the Welsh l10n is
very mature now) of Britiain etc.
why not start our first technically oriented sub project.
 There will be something for anyone to do. GNOME needs publicity,
documentation writers,translators etc. These are not immensely huge tasks and
good input would come from the national LUG structure.
If successful this will bud off to be an independent project and everyone will
be happy.
To utilise this more effectively for AFFS we could have customised localised
Gnoppix for UK with UKFSN and bookmarks  preconfigured.

Regards,
Ramanan