Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Date: 22 Oct 2003 13:02:49 +0100

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 10:01, MJ Ray wrote:

> Mailman is already installed, but we are looking for something
> different to do with it.  There seems no shortage of hosting for
> technical projects at savannah, tuxfamily, berlios, alioth and so on.
> If projects approach us for hosting help, we will try to arrange it,
> as we have before.  I think the problems where AFFS could make a
> bigger difference are in the communication and coordination between
> these projects.

Dunno about the others but Savannah has no PHP (GPL compatibility I
think) or SQL databases (lack of administrator).
Also shell accounts cannot be given to anyone without being in close
contact.
All three requirements above are something I am currently looking for a
tranlsation project.

> If projects approach us for hosting help, we will try to arrange it,
> as we have before.  I think the problems where AFFS could make a
> bigger difference are in the communication and coordination between
> these projects.

and guidance... it can be very daunting for someone new, to find their
way through all the different platforms for development and why
sourceforge is not cool anymore etc.

> On GNOME-UK: I am trying to gather information on the localisation
> projects, for example.  I know of the Welsh one, of course, and the
> "Translation Project" for some GNU tools, but what else is out there?

GNOME Translation project, GTP has all the details one would need for
GNOME
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/

GNOME is a GNU package and how the "Translation Project" (TP)  works
with few GTK packages can be confusing at times. The last time I looked
GNUCash was in the TP. Looks like the TP helps clean up those GTK
packages that are left out of GNOME infrastructure.

GNUCash, a GTK based GNU package is destined to become an integral  part
of GNOME Office
<http://www.gnome.org/gnome-office/>

Interestingly there are other attempts to get OOo to integrate tightly
<http://www.gnome.org/~michael/XimianOOo/img0.html>

We are sort of thinking about localising GNUCash. Aren't we?

Any input from us would definitely

1/ be good feedback for all projects involved
2/ explore possibilities other than directing doc
writers/translators/developers to the appropriate destinations

what we would need first is a bit more interest from affs memebers
interested in this kind of thing excluding mjr and myself.

I know  only one UK based central figure in GNOME development who seems
enthusiastic about getting a mailing list going except the admin
responsibilities.

Regards,

Ramanan