Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Date: 22 Oct 2003 18:22:18 +0100

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 14:32, Alex Hudson wrote:

> > If there is ever a GNOME-UK list helped by AFFS would not this serve the
> > purpose of publicising AFFS more than 'suck people away'?
>
> Oh, probably not. The "sucking away" was specifically addressed at a
> potential affs-discuss list: I don't see that list could have any
> charter which didn't overlap severely with FSFE-UK. There will be times
> when we just want to discuss AFFS itself, but I don't think there would
> ever be enough traffic to warrant a whole list.

But the little arguments for a low volume members list was convincing so
far. Wins my vote if you are taking votes.

> As you noted, there are other groups who are doing different things
> (like debian-uk) and therefore do have their own lists. I wasn't arguing
> that situation was bad; I was arguing more about duplication of what we
> already have.
>
> > Yes I too exchanged mails with Telsa recently and what I understood was
> > there is a crowd  and willingness but nothing is being done due to the
> > possible administrative overheads.
> >
> > This is about a mailing list and if AFFS is starting to run Mailman, I
> > do not see why we should not explore this?
>
> No, go ahead. I personally don't really see a problem with doing that -
> if they want a list and can't get one anywhere else. I would have
> thought they would be more at home on lists.gnome.org though.

GNOME lists do not entertain even localisaton project lists. It is a
busy project as it is.
Good example will be GNOME-DE, <http://www.gnome-de.org/gnome.php> which
gave birth to GNOPPIX which is now looking very promising on Savannah.
I am sure GNOME-DE had its origins in a mailing list although there is
noting to say any GNOME-UK discussion should make this a goal.
... unless maybe these statistic worries some one
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.4/en_GB/index.html
it is a case of correcting about 80% of the files of their spelling
mistakes :-)

We need more volunteers. I can explore other places and people sometime
next week unless someone else would like to do this.