Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: Chris Croughton
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:28:48 +0000

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 01:55:14PM +0000, address@hidden wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 01:27:45PM +0000, Chris Croughton wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure where you get the "sheer posting volume" from.  This
> > list
>
> I am told she was talking about receiving posts twice when they do get
> crossposted. Anyhow this list is currently has a very high noise ratio
> and I have found that I am not reading much of it in depth anymore due
> to what I perceive as a large amount of utterly useless "chatter". (my
> opinion only that second sentence)

And in mine, where my definition of 'chatter' includes AFFS internal
stuff (like for instance the elections -- and for that discussion about
"which list").  Which is the reason why two lists (or at least a way of
distinguishing topics, like subject tags) is in my opinion necessary.

> Kirsty unsubscribed shortly after sending that message...

Pity, I thought she was talking a lot of sense.

> We have already lost many subscribers or people have stopped reading
> this list due to the low amount of communication on free software and
> the amount of posts with no real content in them. (again my opinion
> only, not statement of fact)

Again, illustrating my point.  The vast majority of people I know who
are interested in (or even writing) Free Software are not at all
interested in the AFFS or in joining organisations in general (they
aren't even interested in LUGs, and nor am I much).  Some of them are
paranoid about 'organisations' in general (and I can't blame them).

As for low traffic levels, they don't bother me much.  I tend to put
low-traffic inputs at higher priority, so I read them when they do come
in (but I'm not bothered with them if there is none), with high-traffic
ones at a lower priority so they get read when there's nothing much else
happening.  So I wouldn't drop a list just because there's not much on
it...

Chris C