Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: Chris Croughton
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:27:45 +0000

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 09:25:15AM +0000, Kirsten Naylor wrote:

> However I do also believe that fsfe-uk and the affs list would
> experience heavy crossposting, so we are a bit stuck - a new list would
> be v good for affs as an org but perhaps bad overall for free software
> in dividing the audience and scaring some off with the sheer posting
> volume.  So the final decision whether we value the principle above
> ourselves.

I'm not sure where you get the "sheer posting volume" from.  This list
at present is not exactly high-volume (I've been on some which are
hundreds of messages every day, and people there say /those/ aren't
"high volume" compared to some!).  Since most of the activity here at
the moment is pretty AFFS-specific I'd expect about this volume on the
AFFS-specific list, with something less being crossposted to the
FS-specific list.

If anything, the separation would reduce the volume of "unwanted"
messages, because if a question of FS blows up here then it shouldn't
normally be x-posted (and similarly a committee row or whatever on the
AFFS list shouldn't have an impact here).

Admittedly, it would be nice if there is so much interest in FS issues
that this list becomes moderate-volume, but that shouldn't disturb those
specifically interested in AFFS internals.  I know several people I could
direct to a list about FS (and associated issues like copyrights,
patents etc.) who would be put off by organisational matters.

> I imagine at this point in the thread that not many remain that will
> read this ;) it is extremely dull and probably we will never reach an
> agreement.

There's not much else happening.  Perhaps everyone else has left the
list <g>...

Chris C