Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Date: 29 Oct 2003 16:28:47 +0000

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 14:23, Alex Hudson wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 13:55, address@hidden wrote:

> thought of it. The split between fsfe-uk/affs-activity being more akin
> theory/practice rather than free software/affs (which seems an arbitrary
> line to me).

And it is good for free software to get the theory right. ie, this list
(fsfe-uk) should get more busy with people stumbling in from all walks
of life with different interests.

We have to increase its volume. It is simply not enough.

By 'we' I mean AFFS and anyone who bothered to subscribe here with good
intentions.

> I think a question that may have to be addressed is one of list culture.
> fsfe-uk has been unfriendly in the past. affs-anything has the potential

Atleast affs has structure to deal with it.

As for the fsfe-uk we all have to collectively ensure that even totally
new people to IT, are made to feel welcome.
That is where free software needs to go and get a lot of energy from.

I am worried to hear this is could be an issue. If so let's sort it out
before anything.
> to be naval gazing in the extreme. That's not something we have the
> potential to change, except by bringing in lots of new people.

This way when the volume of traffic goes up in fsfe-uk (as it  should)
affs-activity would become even more attractive.

For those wishing to foucs on action with peace and quiet, 10 quid will
buy it in an affs list. If anything important in the fsfe-uk list needs
their attention it could be announced too.

For those who understand the need to be organised, UK wide, there need
not be  any explanation, they would join any well run affs and thus be
subscribed to the affs list(s) by default.

But for those who might refuse to join the affs for whatever reason I
have no answer.
Maybe affs marketing would need more work if this goes against what is
good for FS.