Re: [Fsfe-uk] Linux User & Developer Expo

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Linux User & Developer Expo
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:28:31 +0100

On 2004-04-29 22:15:22 +0100 Roger Leigh <address@hidden> wrote:

I would rather advise people on how they can contribute directly,
rather than through an intermediary such as AFFS--this way they can
donate to exactly the project/group they wish.

Yes, this sounds tricky and some guidance would be really helpful. From a general point-of-view, we need to avoid projects having to please a large group of small funders. That's part of the reason I think pooling money for UK projects through AFFS will be a good thing when it starts working.

I'd very much like to encourage non-monetary contributions though.

I agree, donations in kind should go directly to the chosen project. There seems to be some confusion about how to do that well. If you send a badly-written email to a volunteer, even if you are trying to help test something, that volunteer may not spend extra time dealing with your email. I have seen some people get quite outraged that their block-caps missives get ignored by developers. It would be good to make siblings for "How to report bugs effectively" by Simon Tatham http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.