Re: [Fsfe-uk] Linux User & Developer Expo

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Linux User & Developer Expo
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:43:14 +0100

Tom Chance wrote:

[snip]

there, having the AFFS name present to improve recognition, and some good discussion with related groups, I'm not sure it was worth our while being there.

One thing that would help immeasurably would
be an AFFS or FSFE rep on the "Big Linux Debate"
held on Weds lunchtime.

There was a lot of talk about the"Linux desktop"
taking over, but the "Open Source" solutions
discussed were very much inclusive of proprietary
software :-(

The only people speaking up for Free Software were
Don de Silva with a question from the audience and
Jeremy Allison on the panel, who spoke up for the
GNU GPL, and how it worked as a unifying force
in Free Software, creating a level playing field.

The other expo, this autumn, has a similar debate -
we should act soon to get Free Software represented
on the panel.

- Richard

btw  Thanks to Alex and everyone else who helped out
on the stand, and to Brian T for taking our comments on
stand design into account this year ;-)