ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:34:16 +0200

Alfred M. Szmidt, le Tue 12 Aug 2014 05:06:45 -0400, a écrit :
> It is not absurd at all, can you explain _what_ is offensive, exactly?
> Can you make a rational, strict and consistent decision, based on the
> currently worded policy, that does not change between conference
> organisers as to what is considered offensive?

I'd almost say that "offensive" is subjective *by definition*, since
depending on the people and the situation, something will be considered
offensive or not.

The policy is there to manage this situation.  It is not saying that
offense will immediately be followed by exclusion (since one can't even
decide simply what is an offense or not).  It is saying that people who
feel offensed have the right to ask for the origin of the offense to
stop, or more *if it does not stop*.  Yes, it means limiting freedom
of speech, for the sake of respecting people who feel offensed by what
happens.

But again, it depends on the situation.  With some careful forewords,
something that could be considered offensive will not be.

Yes, that's all blurry and irrational, but that makes sense, for human
relations; they're not programs with non-ambiguous meaning.

Samuel