ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 20:59:17 +0200

I don't want to reopen the discussion, but at least this has to be
answered correctly, before we forget this and then one year from now
people find strange stuff in the archives.

On 2014-08-15 at 16:36, genium wrote:

> Do you mean Free Software and LGBT movements share the same goals, and
> should be seen as two facets of the same object ? Do I have to support
> Feminism in order to support Free Software ?

Despite Alexandre's response, the answer is obviously NO.

The two movement have completely different goals, so it makes sense that
a person supports neither, only one of them, or both: all four
combinations are possible.  The point is that the two issues are
different, hence not in conflict: it is *possible* to support both.

That was the theoretical abstract part.

Now, the *typical* position of free software supporters in my experience
is, like for every civilized human being, to accept that women,
homosexuals, and all people irrespective of gender or sexual preferences
have equal rights in society, and to defend such equality.

The further step of taking explicit actions in order to look more
friendly and welcoming, such as avoiding some conversation topics hence
curbing free speech, is what the controversy was about.

This just for the record.

--
Luca Saiu      http://ageinghacker.net
* GNU epsilon: http://www.gnu.org/software/epsilon