[glob2-devel] Evolutions vs Revolutions

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: [glob2-devel] Evolutions vs Revolutions
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:35:05 +0100

Hi,

I know that most people think that we should make lots of rewrite in Glob2.
Indeed, some people even think we should rewrite it entierly, they think we
should make a Great Revolution.

While I'm not opposed to this, and would be very happy to see it happen, it
won't come from me, at least not on a large scale (mini-Revolution can and
will occure). The two main reasons are very simple:
- I do not have enough time.
- I specially do not have big continuous period of time to invest on Glob2, as
I had while student (no more long Summer holidays). Such big period are
required for an efficient rewrite.
So my personnal plan is to progressively improve HEAD, by fixing bugs,
cleaning things, perhaps by rewriting some subsystems. I might also help
people on specific rewrite in branches.

My purprose is not to depress you, but rather to present the real work force
we have. But of course, feel free to code what you like :-) (but not in HEAD
if it breaks everything).

This said, Glob2 could become a lot better with fast no code rewrite. For
instance, map editor's GUI is a big joke, but the underlying code is ok. No
rewrite needed. With some nice icons (specially for brush types: units,
buildings, delete, ...) and a tabbed right menu (as the one in game), Map
editor could be very good. Also, when I code, sometimes I do not have time to
add the strings, you can contribute to Glob2 by adding them yourself. No
recompilation is needed. Same for new unit graphics.

As a conclusion, I would say that our engine, although not perfect, is not
that bad, and if we do not have the ultimate killer game it's only very
partially his fault. We need a game, and that's where my efforts are focused
now.