Re: [glob2-devel] more issues noticed while testing new version

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] more issues noticed while testing new version
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 18:51:08 -0400

On 8/8/07, Joe Wells <address@hidden> wrote:
Joe Wells <address@hidden> writes:

> "Bradley Arsenault" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>     • New bug:It is very difficult to see the intensity distinctions of
>>       the fertility map.  A better choice of color and intensities might
>>       help.
>>
>> Not sure how to go about this. Turning on low quality makes more distinct
>> colors per square, but also goes to show that the values really don't change
>> that much.
>
> If the values don't change much, then it would be better if the few
> values that are actually used got colors that were more distinct.

Also, maybe the use of green for the fertility map is not a good idea
because it is hard to see distinctions of green on top of grass.
Perhaps a more distinct color like red should be used for the
fertility map.

By the way, the fertility map doesn't work at all for showing where
algae will grow.  (I think I remember someone else mentioning this
already.)

--
Joe

In terms of user interface design both methods are bad. Using red gives a bad visual cue. While it may be more usefull as a color, its much worse at conveying the message to the player. On the other hand the green gives the right visual cue, but its harder to distinguish on top of other greens.

For right now I would prefer to stick with the green. It conveys the corrent message, and its still mostly usable. I can expiriement with some different shades of green if needed. Different drawing technique can go into the next release.

--
Extra cheese comes at a cost. Bradley Arsenault.