Re: [Gnu-arch-users] ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:45:34 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: John Goerzen <address@hidden>

    > On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 04:01:51PM -0400, Miles Bader wrote:
    > > >  * alan/ac (Alan Cox)
    > > >  * ctx (vserver / contexts)
    > > >  * aa (Andrea)
    > > >  * others...

    > > Um, that's (exactly!) what the `branch' part of the name is for...

    > > There's linux--linus, linus--ac, linux--aa, linux--mm, etc.

    > But that is not really a branch, it's more a category.  Right now, we have
    > things like:

    > linus--mainline--2.4
    > linus--pre--2.4
    > linus--mainline--2.5

    > I expect to see:

    > alan--mainline--2.4
    > alan--pre--2.4

    > etc. in the future.

    > What would you have me do, linux--linus-mainline--2.4?

I think that would be slightly better, yes.   It's not a big deal, but
not nothing either.

    > What makes that any
    > better than what I'm doing now?  We all know it's Linux already; what does
    > it buy *anyone* to repeat it?

Suppose, for example, that I set up a browser for many projects,
including the kernel.    Then I'd want to be able click on the
category "linux" and find -- well, the kernel.

More to the point, it's just a cataloging principle:  category names
should be unique (within the domain of discourse) and shared by all
instances of the same project.    When thinking about managing a small
number of projects, that seems pedantic -- but when thinking about
managing 1000s, it's a no-brainer.