[Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository
Date: 12 Sep 2003 06:55:20 +0900

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:
> It sounds as though, if the complete history were here, it would be
> some tag-versions:
>
>       linux--linus--2.4                 linux--linus-pre--2.4
>
>       patch-A
>         patch-B
>         patch-C    <--- "tag of" ----   patch-i (== linux-test-2.4pre-i)

[&c]

That sounds reasonable; then people (like me) who just get every kernel
don't have to worry about whether something is pre or test or whatever,
but those want to pay attention to such details can.

I suspect the best conventions may be different for the different
branches of linux, and different eras within each.

It also depends on what level of detail you're trying to capture --
currently Linus doesn't release -pre kernels like he used to; if you
want finer grained divisions, you have to look at bitkeeper, and if you
do that, the divisions are very fine indeed.

So, for the current development series, one might have:

   linux--linus--2.5
      ;; Derived directly from BK, 10 zillion revisions, hardcore
      ;; hackers use this.

   linux--linus-release--2.5
      ;; One revision per released patch-VERS file.  Wannabe hardcore
      ;; hackers use this.

   linux--linus-test--2.6
      ;; Run-Up to 2.6, tags into linux--linus-release--2.5 (note version!)

Once Linus switches from BK to arch, of course, he'll pick his own names
for things, and everybody can follow those... :-)

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff