[Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository

From: John Goerzen
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:31:24 -0500

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd suggest just `linux--linus--2.4'.
>
> The `pre' and `test' series are really not branches in any strong sense,
> they're tweaks on the version number (essentially a sort of negative
> final component).  Linus releases a linear stream of kernels, whereas
> the term branch implies at least the possibility of parallel development.

But then somebody can't check out a tree and have the latest release
tree or the latest pre tree.  While configs could address that, it is
more difficult, and you still couldn't just "tla update" and get
either the latest release or latest pre as per your preference.

> What do you mean `we all know it's linux'?  In the context of this
> message, sure, since you just said that, but what about the -- usual --
> context of a bunch of cat--branch names in an archive somewhere?

The name "linux" for the archive might be a clue?

>>From your message, you seem to have pushed the name `linux` into the
> archive name; I guess that's fine for you, though it is not the usual
> convention, but what about other people that want to make a tag of your
> stuff?  Do they need to all make a new archive just for linux?  If I
> make my own branch, I can call it whatever I want, but a slignt bit of
> consistency would be nice...

I can see the point there...

> Look, I know you did a lot of work on it, and I do feel a bit of cad
> for jumping right up and bitching, but names _are_ important.  Call me
> a pedant, whatever.

Well, it seems a little silly all the bitching you're doing about it
now, since it's done and I'm *not* spending another week of tedium
just because you don't like the name.  (Feel free to do it yourself)
If there were an easy way to rename things in arch, I'd consider it.

-- John