Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:33:04 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    > I'd suggest just `linux--linus--2.4'.

    > The `pre' and `test' series are really not branches in any strong sense,
    > they're tweaks on the version number (essentially a sort of negative
    > final component).  Linus releases a linear stream of kernels, whereas
    > the term branch implies at least the possibility of parallel development.

It's been a while since I've looked at linux release patterns.

It sounds as though, if the complete history were here, it would be
some tag-versions:

        linux--linus--2.4               linux--linus-pre--2.4

        patch-A
        patch-B
        patch-C      <--- "tag of" ----   patch-i (== linux-test-2.4pre-i)
        patch-D
        patch-E      <---- "tag of" ---   patch-j (== linux-test-2.4pre-j)

                                        linux--linus-test--2.4

        patch-T      <----- "tag of" ---   patch-a (== linux-test-2.4test-a)
        patch-S
        patch-R      <----- "tag of" ---   patch-b (== linux-test-2.4test-b)

                                        linux--linus-release--2.4

        version-0    <----- "tag of"  ---  base-0   (== linux-2.4)
        versionfix-1
        versionfix-2 <----- "tag of"  ---  patch-1  (== linux-2.4.1)

    > Look, I know you did a lot of work on it, and I do feel a bit of cad
    > for jumping right up and bitching, but names _are_ important.  Call me
    > a pedant, whatever.

I feel the same way.