[Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository

From: John Goerzen
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:40:11 -0500

> I think that a category may be defined (abstractly) as a set of
> pristine trees that may be expected to share code with each other via
> the RCS.  (Of course these semantics are instantiated in a very

Ah ha.  Now that clicks with me, and now I see what Miles and Tom have
been trying to tell me.  Sometimes it takes three tries with me, I
guess :-)

> However, Linux shows how complex this idea might be.  Although I think
> this consideration makes it clear that "linux kernel" as a category is
> appropriate, consider that many of the drivers are shared (in large
> part) with other kernels.  So maybe that category should be "kernel"?
> Not! but ... ;-)

Well, it's true that, for instance, certain Linux and FreeBSD drivers
have a common ancestor.  However, I suspect that the different OSs are
different enough that once they get ported to another OS, they tend to
be rather different.

-- John