Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla

From: Karel Gardas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:49:11 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Jan Hudec wrote:

> > > Arch does not support signing/verification for transport -- it supports
> > > it for STORAGE. That's the key point. The signatures are stored and can
> > > be validated at any point in future. Eg. after a security accident.
> >
> > Yes, true, sorry for not so precise definition. The most important thing
> > is that signing/verification is transport independend while this is not
> > the case in darcs. In addition darcs patches are not signed in repository
> > but on export (by send command), which is showstopper about which I wrote.
>
> Yes. That is completely useless for checking integrity of your
> repository after the computer was compromised

That's true and that's why this is showstopper for me.

> or when your harddisk is dying.

That's true w.r.t. signing/verification but not w.r.t. darcs as whole. As
I've seen darcs support `check' command which is able to check your
current tree for corruption:

``Check verifies that the patches stored in the repository, when successively
applied to an empty tree, properly recreate the stored current tree.''

Cheers,
Karel
--
Karel Gardas                  address@hidden